How to paint a Furry Cat in Watercolor
Draw a rectangle on drawing paper.Use negative space (the space that is not the cat, ie. background shapes) to help place him into the rectangle.
2. Transfer to arches 140lb. watercolor paper by placing drawing on window letting light shine through to watercolor paper.
3. Place liquid mask in eyes to keep white
4.Mix 3 colors (Ultramarine blue, Alizarin Crimson, Aureolin Yellow)
5.Test colors first on separate watercolor paper and practice mixing until you have all the colors of the cat.
6.Wet paper beyond area you will be painting with big brush.
7. Paint cat with DRY brush of pure pigment little water, strong dark colors to get fuzzy effect.
8. Continue to form darks and lights on cat.
9. Let dry.
Demo of wet on wet to achieve fuzzy effect.
Students 1st wash
10. Details in face only
11. Remove liquid mask with rubber remover.
12. Paint iris first in two values.
13. While wet, paint pupil and eyeliner with dry dark paint. 14. 14. Make sure you let some line in the eye disappear. A complete outline of eye looks cartoony.
15. Use white to make a highlight if necessary.
Cat Eye Demos
16. Finish using titanium white and fine detail brush for whiskers.