Here is a fantastic and fun project for people with Altzheimer's. It is also great or photo ops afterward.
8 1/2" x 11" cardstock
tissue paper cut in 10" long strips
water filled container
ribbon 18" long
1. precut shape onto card stock and punch holes for ribbon. You can get template online or use old party hat, open up and trace.
2. Have clients paint their own design onto this shape, one side. Some clients can only paint one color, while others can do an elaborate design. One client just played with the paint and wasn't able to paint onto the paper. This is all okay. As long as they are enjoying themselves, that is the most important thing.
3. Have them select colors of tissue strand that go with their design. Staple strands to inside of pointed top.
4. Staple the hat closed by rolling into cone shape.
5. Help put ribbon through holes and staple of tape to inside of hat.
6. Place them on the head and take photos.
7. I like to hum the tune to Auld Lang Syne. They love music and become alive when you sing. It is always good to sing first and then get to work and then sing while working. I hummed this tune about 10 times and they joined in every time.